It was very apparent very early that the new East End Sunday School would soon outgrow the space available in the Juliet School. As early as Oct 26 1924 there was a desire for a permanent structure for the Sunday School. A special meeting was held for those interested in starting a building fund. Even more meetings were held to discuss how this would be accomplished.
On July 19 1925 the congregation appointed an official building committee. Since funds were limited, it was felt that the best use of the money was to build a Sunday School building first, with plans to add a sanctuary and a third floor to the original building later, when funds were available. Plans were drawn up by a local architect, Mr. James Russell.
On July 27 1925, five lots at the corner of King St (later called Parkview Dr) and Ontario St were purchased from Mr David M. Wright of Central United Church. Mr. Wright must have been a very enthusiastic supporter of this mission church. He never transferred his membership from Central to the new congregation, nor did he cease his support and attendance at his home church. However, he sold the east end congregation the lots for $1 each. In 1917 Mr Wright had purchased these pieces of land for a total of $5000. This was definitely a case of “putting your money where your mouth is” for it showed that his faith in God was more important than making a profit. These lots extended from Ontario St to Cobourg St.
Many of the churches in Stratford gave money to the project and donations were received from private citizens in the city. Following up on an idea from the women of the congregation, Mr Bell’s Bible class appointed a Brick committee that “sold” bricks throughout the community. Young men canvassed the residents of Stratford to “buy” bricks to build the new building. Donations of 50 and 75 cents were the norm.
After the formal formation of Parkview United Church in July 1925, the local Board of Education began charging the new congregation $1.50 per week to cover the cost of heating and lighting. This was a great deal of money, money that the church board felt could be best used in their own facility. The sooner they could move into a building of their own the better.